[openstack-dev] [Nova] Feature Freeze Notes

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Sep 5 12:25:31 UTC 2013

Greetings,

We have now passed the freeze.  The great news is that we were able to
merge the code for 40 blueprints [4]!  That's roughly the same that we
completed in h1 and h2 combined.  (We're also trying to get a couple
more through the gate before making the havana-3 branch)

The bad news is that *way* too much code came in during havana-3 as
opposed to more evenly spread out throughout the development cycle.
This caused a bit of a bottleneck in the review process, so some
features didn't make it.  We had hard choices to make, but reviewed and
merged as much as we could.

Thank you to everyone that put in extra effort over the last few weeks.
 I really appreciate it.  There were 4815 code reviews done by 196
people over the last 30 days in Nova and 15637 reviews by 499 people
across all projects [1][2] !

There is a documented procedure for requesting a feature freeze
exception [3].  For Nova, I would add that I would also like to see the
request posted to the mailing list with a subject that looks something
like "[Nova] FFE Request: <blueprint>".  That way, interested parties
can chime in easily.  It will also help get my (and others') attention
to the request.

Thanks!

[1] http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/nova-reviewers-30.txt
[2] http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/all-reviewers-30.txt