[openstack-dev] [brick] Status and plans for the brick shared volume code

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Sep 4 15:18:08 UTC 2013

Hello,

I was talking with Russell on IRC this morning about Brick code and the
current submissions to Nova.  We thought it might be a good idea to send
out some info on what the intent is with these changes.

The idea of Brick was to reduce the duplicated code between Nova and Cinder
and provide a library that both projects and in the future other projects
like Glance could use for block storage.  In addition we'd ultimately like
to provide the ability for Nova to do things like local volume
placement/scheduling and moving a subset of the Cinder code in to a library
will make that possible.

Most of the work that was completed thus far has been refactor and clean up
of the initiator code and a number of things for LVM.  Currently it's
copy/paste from Cinder, but once we get an initial merge of everything the
plan is to create a lib that can just be imported so as to avoid all of the
syncing nightmares etc.

The code currently is and will be maintained in Cinder, and the Cinder team
will sync changes across to Nova.  The first order of business for Icehouse
will be to get the library built up and usable, then convert over to using
that so as to avoid the syncing issues.  It may seem at first that this
doesn't solve much other than code duplication but there are a number of
good bug fixes that went in here and some efficiencies that I think
multiple projects will be able to realize as we move forward.

Hope that helps, I plan to get a wiki posted as well as adding a README in
the brick directory to keep everyone informed, but in the meantime wanted
to send a quick message out to the ML.

Thanks,
John