[openstack-dev] [nova] Revert Baremetal v3 API extension?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Sep 4 14:26:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,

As someone who has felt about as much pain as possible from the
dual-maintenance of the v2 and v3 API extensions, I felt compelled to
bring up one that I think we can drop. The baremetal extension was
ported to v3 API before (I think) the decision was made to make v3
experimental for Havana. There are a couple of patches up for review
right now that make obligatory changes to one or both of the versions,
which is what made me think about this.

Since Ironic is on the horizon and was originally slated to deprecate
the in-nova-tree baremetal support for Havana, and since v3 is only
experimental in Havana, I think we can drop the baremetal extension for
the v3 API for now. If Nova's baremetal support isn't ready for
deprecation by the time we're ready to promote the v3 API, we can
re-introduce it at that time. Until then, I propose we avoid carrying
it for a soon-to-be-deprecated feature.

Thoughts?

--Dan