[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Security groups with OVS instead of iptables?

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Sep 3 23:12:43 UTC 2013

I am not entirely sure that any of the open source plugins available in the
neutron source tree currently provides the ability of ensuring security
groups through OVS flow management.
But I might be missing some out-of-tree plugin, of which I have little to
no knowledge.

To answer the initial question - yet it's technically possible, but it's
also cumbersome.
Nova security group rules can easily generate a situation in which
thousands of rules are generated. If not properly handled by adopting
appropriate strategies, such as masking bits for nw addresses, the number
can easily spiral. This means that it is likely that most packes will miss
the kernel-level flow table and require a context switch to user mode (it
might be even worse if you store the rules on the controller and you ask
your switch to fetch them with openflow) - in this case the performance
would be even worse than the double bridge we traverse now.

Said that, it's not impossible. It's just that so far nobody has seriously
tackled this issue.

Regards,
Salvatore