[openstack-dev] A question about atomicity of repository commits

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:44:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Birdsall, Dave <dave.birdsall at hp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the Openstack community. I have what is probably a naïve question.
>
> Suppose source code for a project is in Git repository A, while the Jenkins test suite for it is in Git repository B.
>
> First question: Does this happen in Openstack? (For example, are there nova tests in the tempest repository that get executed in Jenkins when nova is changed?)
>
> Given my assumption above, suppose I'm a contributor and I want to change some source in repository A. However, my source change affects the test results of a test in repository B. So I want to change that as well.
>
> My understanding is that I'd clone both repositories, and commit changes to each independently, and each would go to Gerrit as a separate change.
Correct. You will probably want to drop a comment on each review
referring to the other so that reviewers understand what is going on.

> Second question: How does one handle the chicken-and-egg problem? If the source change to A goes through Jenkins first, the automated tests would fail. But if the test change to B goes through Jenkins first, it would also fail because the old code in A has the old behavior.
You have to make the changes in backward and forward compatible ways,
this will allow the tests to pass for at least one of the changes
which will then unblock the other change.

> Thanks and kind regards,
>
> Dave

Clark