[openstack-dev] Migrating to newer full projects from what used to be part of nova

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:18:05 UTC 2013

On 31 October 2013 18:46, John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com> wrote:

> Is your disappointment that there isn't a path from Essex -->
> Grizzly/Havana, or are you unhappy with the content?

Upgrading Essex->Folsom introduced both the challenge of upgrading
nova-volume to cinder and the challenge of upgrading nova-network to
quantum. Upgrading Folsom->Grizzly presents the challenge of migrating
nova-network to quantum and assumes that nova-volume has already been
migrated to cinder. Upgrading Grizzly->Havana finally closes the door on
nova-network as far as I can see, although I may be wrong.

It comes down to the fact that while we cater for migrating between
versions of a particular project we don't cater particularly well for
migrating between projects when a project splits out from a parent project
as was the case for both of the above.

I'm not disappointed about the lack of ability to jump from Essex to
Grizzly or Havana, but rather the lack of ability to migrate between
projects.

I would find it entirely suitable to upgrade from Essex to Folsom, then
migrate from nova-volume to cinder and from nova-network to quantum, then
only to upgrade to Grizzly.

> So to be quite honest we never intended to make skips like you
> describe.

This misses the point somewhat, as I've made (hopefully) clear above. It's
not about the skipping, but rather the clean migration, even within the
same version, from something that used to be inherent (like nova-volume and
cinder) to something that is now a new project with its own code tree.

> Going forward maybe we can come up with something better.

The reason for raising this now is primarily to do just that.