[openstack-dev] When is it okay for submitters to say 'I don't want to add tests' ?

Michael Bright mjbrightfr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:13:40 UTC 2013

I like Steve's suggestion:

> The approach the Heat team have sometimes taken in this situation is to
> merge the patch, but raise a bug (targetted at the next milestone)
> identifying the missing coverage.

I'm (almost!) a first time contributor and I've put a fix on the backburner
as I find the time to ramp up on the unit tests suite.  The fix was
"review"ed 2 weeks ago, requesting unit tests - very reasonable but I
needed help to even start (I got no response from requests on IRC, ML, or
e-mail to the bug reporter).

If it wasn't for the good Upstream University people mentoring me - heh,
they deserve a plug! - I'm sure I would have moved on.

Thankfully, a cunning commit message provoked the guidance I needed so I
just need a long weekend to get back to the tests - which I have now.

I'm not sure in which cases you would/wouldn't want to split the bug for
the implementation of tests but I'm sure it would help other first timers
and encourage new contributors.

Regards,
Mike