[openstack-dev] When is it okay for submitters to say 'I don't want to add tests' ?

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Oct 31 18:55:12 UTC 2013

On 13-10-30 10:37 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> This is a bit of a social norms thread....
>
> I've been consistently asking for tests in reviews for a while now,
> and I get the occasional push-back. I think this falls into a few
> broad camps:
>
> A - there is no test suite at all, adding one in unreasonable
> B - this thing cannot be tested in this context (e.g. functional tests
> are defined in a different tree)
> C - this particular thing is very hard to test
> D - testing this won't offer benefit
> E - other things like this in the project don't have tests
> F - submitter doesn't know how to write tests
> G - submitter doesn't have time to write tests
>
> Now, of these, I think it's fine not add tests in cases A, B, C in
> combination with D, and D.
>
> I don't think E, F or G are sufficient reasons to merge something
> without tests, when reviewers are asking for them. G in the special
> case that the project really wants the patch landed - but then I'd
> expect reviewers to not ask for tests or to volunteer that they might
> be optional.
>
> Now, if I'm wrong, and folk have different norms about when to accept
> 'reason X not to write tests' as a response from the submitter -
> please let me know!
>
> -Rob

I recently hit option A for nodepool.  My patch was accepted, but I
didn't know where to start for adding the testsuite for the project.

So, that said, if option A keeps coming up, then I think the obvious
choice is development needs to refocus to take the option of the table.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)