[openstack-dev] Migrating to newer full projects from what used to be part of nova

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 17:05:49 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 12:46 PM, John Griffith wrote:
>> Issues at hand, for now, are:
>>
>> 1) Migrating from nova-volume to cinder
>
> So to be quite honest we never intended to make skips like you
> describe.  Perhaps that wasn't such a good choice in retrospect.  I'm
> willing to take a look at putting some special migrations in, but
> honestly given the changes in Nova alone between Essex and Folsom
> making a full jump from something like Essex to Havana is going to be
> challenging not just for adding Cinder, but overall.  I know it's not
> ideal but right now the best/preferred solution may in fact be to do
> incremental updates as intended.

Right, Nova (and probably other projects, too) only supports N to N+1
upgrades.  If you need to go to N+2, you'll need to go through N+1 to
get there.

FWIW, improving upgrades is very high on the priority list across all of
OpenStack.  We have sessions all over the place to talk about it.  It's
getting a lot better.

--
Russell Bryant