[openstack-dev] Migrating to newer full projects from what used to be part of nova

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Oct 31 16:46:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Jesse Pretorius
<jesse.pretorius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Migrations from Essex to Grizzly/Havana are starting to hit my radar of
> responsible tasks and I'm disappointed that beyond this old wiki note [1]

Is your disappointment that there isn't a path from Essex -->
Grizzly/Havana, or are you unhappy with the content?

> and a wealth of questions with very few answers [2], there is very little
> available to support the migrations from what used to be part of nova to the
> newer full projects.
>
> I really think that as Openstack grows and the projects split out, one of
> the focal areas really needs to be on ensuring that people using the older
> versions can migrate to the newer versions without needing to do all sorts
> of terrible hacks.
>
> Issues at hand, for now, are:
>
> 1) Migrating from nova-volume to cinder

So to be quite honest we never intended to make skips like you
describe.  Perhaps that wasn't such a good choice in retrospect.  I'm
willing to take a look at putting some special migrations in, but
honestly given the changes in Nova alone between Essex and Folsom
making a full jump from something like Essex to Havana is going to be
challenging not just for adding Cinder, but overall.  I know it's not
ideal but right now the best/preferred solution may in fact be to do
incremental updates as intended.

Going forward maybe we can come up with something better.