[openstack-dev] OpenStack's OpenPGP Web of Trust

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Oct 31 16:39:01 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-31 12:24:49 +0100 (+0100), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> OK, made it official
[...]

And:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenPGP_Web_of_Trust/Icehouse_Summit

If you add yourself to the table there in the wiki by noon the day
before, I'll try to bring a stack of printouts we can use as
checklists. With only 30 minutes and places to get from/to between
sessions, it's going to be tight timing if many people want to
participate. Don't feel like you have to get through everyone on the
list... it would be nice, but as long as enough interested attendees
participate and we each get a few signatures out of the effort it
will still be a great start.

Just a reminder of how these things go, in case you haven't
participated before--this is really about meeting in person and
checking names/photos/key fingerprints. The actual key signing can
(and should, in the interest of time) happen later at your
convenience... probably after we get home from the summit for many
of us because it will be a very busy week already.

Also, be prepared that some participants will decide after reviewing
your identification no to sign your key. This is perfectly natural,
as key signing choices are a matter of personal preference (some
people might care about strict name matching, may be uncertain of
the validity of your ID, or could have a hard time recognizing your
old photo from when you still had long hair and didn't need glasses
yet). In my opinion that additional individuality only leads to a
healthier web of trust and is not something you should ever consider
an insult.

Also, I'll be around at the conference every day with my ID and key
fingerprint cards too (as I expect will some others). So if you
can't get to the Thursday slot for other reasons and want to
exchange ID with someone, just let them know and see if they might
be able to work out a quick face-to-face in the hallway, at lunch or
maybe during one of the evening parties.
--
Jeremy Stanley