[openstack-dev] Migrating to newer full projects from what used to be part of nova

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:26:53 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Migrations from Essex to Grizzly/Havana are starting to hit my radar of
responsible tasks and I'm disappointed that beyond this old wiki note [1]
and a wealth of questions with very few answers [2], there is very little
available to support the migrations from what used to be part of nova to
the newer full projects.

I really think that as Openstack grows and the projects split out, one of
the focal areas really needs to be on ensuring that people using the older
versions can migrate to the newer versions without needing to do all sorts
of terrible hacks.

Issues at hand, for now, are:

1) Migrating from nova-volume to cinder
2) Migrating from nova-network to neutron

It'd be great if we could pool efforts to figure out an effective way of
handling these migrations. Whether they're handled in the 'db sync'
process, or by a set of companion utilities instead is immaterial to a
deployer... as long as something suitable and effective is available to
cater for the need.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MigrateToCinder
[2] https://www.google.co.za/search?q=migrate+'nova-network'+quantum<https://www.google.co.za/search?q=migrate+nova-network+quantum&oq=migrate+nova-network+quantum&aqs=chrome..69i57.12524j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8>