[openstack-dev] Full schedule for HongKong summit?

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 14:03:25 UTC 2013

On 10/29/2013 06:29 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Dina Belova wrote:
>> There is no such mixed calendar. It was made, as far as I remember,
>> because design and summit talks are very different and should be separated.
>>
>> But still, it is not really comfortable.
> Yes, it's a bit of a trade-off...
>
> In the past we had a lot of people, attracted by catchy session titles,
> wandering in the design summit area and be really surprised by the
> absence of presentations and the chaotic nature of the discussions
> there. For this time around we decided that further separating the two
> events (while keeping compatible time slots) was less confusing, and
> keeping two separate schedules was the simplest way of making that happen.
>
> I agree it's inconvenient for people who want to juggle between the two
> parts of the event. The best solution for those is probably to look at
> both schedules and use the iCal/ics exports to build your personal calendar:
>
> http://icehousedesignsummit.sched.org/mobile-site
> http://openstacksummitnovember2013.sched.org/mobile-site
>
> Hope this helps,

I would think that this is a common enough occurance for the sched.org
people that they would have a "nested conference" mechanism.  However, I
think that this might have a secondary effect of messing up people that
really do want to participate in the design sessions, but are only aware
of the main summit schedule. While it is true that we don't want the
design sessions to be flooded, we do want participation, and balancing
the two is going to allways err one way or the other.

Security is particularly impacted by this, however, as developers really
should be at the security sessions, but they are not part of the
developers schedule.

At a minimum, we should probably have a recurring theme among the early
day presenters "if you are interested in the design sessions, remember
that they are on a separate schedule" or some such.

Dealing with this really feels like dealing with design issues in
Keystone.  What user should see which project...