[openstack-dev] When is it okay for submitters to say 'I don't want to add tests' ?

Rosa, Andrea (HP Cloud Services) andrea.rosa at hp.com
Thu Oct 31 12:04:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

>This is a bit of a social norms thread....
>
>I've been consistently asking for tests in reviews for a while now, and I get the
>occasional push-back. I think this falls into a few broad camps:
>
>A - there is no test suite at all, adding one in unreasonable B - this thing cannot
>be tested in this context (e.g. functional tests are defined in a different tree)
>C - this particular thing is very hard to test D - testing this won't offer benefit E
>- other things like this in the project don't have tests F - submitter doesn't
>know how to write tests G - submitter doesn't have time to write tests
>
>Now, of these, I think it's fine not add tests in cases A, B, C in combination
>with D, and D.

In my opinion  C instead of being an acceptable reason for not having tests is a symptom of one of the two things:
1) F => Submitter doesn't know how to write tests, in this case someone else can help with suggestions
2) The code we are trying to test is too complicated so it's time to refactor it

And about D, In my opinion  tests always offer benefits, like code coverage or helping in understanding the code.

What do you think?

Regards
--
Andrea Rosa