[openstack-dev] [nova] changing old migrations is verboten

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Oct 31 12:01:50 UTC 2013

So there is a series of patches starting with -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/53417/ that go back and radically
change existing migration files.

This is really a no-no, unless there is a critical bug fix that
absolutely requires it. Changing past migrations should be considered
with the same level of weight as an N-2 backport, only done when there
is huge upside to the change.

I've -2ed the first 2 patches in the series, though that review applies
to all of them (I figured a mailing list thread was probably more useful
than -2ing everything in the series).

There needs to be really solid discussion about the trade offs here
before contemplating something as dangerous as this.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net