[openstack-dev] [Solum] Separation of concerns for 0.1 git deploy blueprint

Uri Cohen uri at gigaspaces.com
Thu Oct 31 09:04:31 UTC 2013

Hi Adrian

Sounds like there's a need for a true workflow engine here. I suspect that for any use case beyond trivial, each user will have her own flavor of CD (TripleO is a good example for this) - some will prefer to use a canary server and test it manually before deploying to other servers, some will deploy to specific servers based on the subset of users they're serving, some will do a red/black type of deployment (Which maps well into environments below), etc. But I think that there should be an user-configurable mechanism to define and tweak these workflows. There will also be additional related workflows - e.g. rolling back a deployment, or updating the infrastructure components of a running application (e.g. database version upgrade).
I might be raising a topic that's already been discussed (sorry if I am), but I was wondering how this would fit into the architecture.

Thanks!
Uri