[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Version numbering of TripleO releases

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Oct 31 02:44:59 UTC 2013

So, Chris and Roman have been pushing the cart of 'get all
[non-incubator] TripleO projects setup to do releases'. One
interesting thing came up is that we have no particular discussion
about how to choose versions.

OpenStack as a whole seems to largely be semver compatible. For
TripleO I think we should follow semver fairly closely as we're going
to be tied into folks deployment cycle - being able to reason about
likely incompatibilities is a Good Thing.

Where we haven't committed to a 1.0.0. release though, there is a grey
area, as semver basically says 'no semantic meaning at all there'.
Roman and I discussed this and we think that treating 0. versions as
0.MAJOR.MINOR makes sense. So we would go from 0.0.X to 0.1.0 when we
do something incompatible with the prior 0.0.X version, and just
increment X otherwise.

Thoughts?

-Rob

--