[openstack-dev] How to skip certain unit tests?

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Oct 31 02:20:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Vijay B <os.vbvs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can we skip certain unit tests when running run_tests.sh? I'm looking at
> the Openstack unit test page at
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/unit_tests.html but I cannot
> find info on how to do this. Any idea if there already is a way to do this?
> If not, does the community think it would be helpful to have such a
> facility? I think it would help to have this if certain tests are broken. Of
> course, tests should never be broken and should be fixed right away, but at
> certain times it may not be possible to wait for the tests to be fixed,
> especially if there is an external dependency, and we may want to be able to
> customize automated builds temporarily until the broken tests are fixed.
>
> Regards,
> Vijay

Hi Vijay,

Theoretically there should never be broken tests in master, that's
what the gates are for and if there are they should be fixed very
quickly.

Back to your question, I don't know of a way to skip from
run_tests.sh, but there is a skip decorator that can be added to tests
in the code.  You can also specify specific tests to run.  Using
run_tests.sh (you can also do more sophisticated things with testr or
tox directly) you could do something like:
'run_tests.sh cinder.tests.test_volumes' or more granular:
'run_tests.sh cinder.tests.test_volume:VolumeTestCase.test_create_delete_volume

Hope that helps.

John