[openstack-dev] [Heat] Locking and ZooKeeper - a space oddysey

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Oct 30 19:34:05 UTC 2013

To me u just made state consistency be a lock by another name.

A lock protects a region of code from being mutually accessed, u can do the same with state consistency. In the end though u need some reliable transactional consistent storage (a database, zookeeper, other) to store that state (which itself is using locks). So to me they are similar, state consistency is nice in that it becomes extremely obvious what the states and transitions are (and includes other very nice benefits, like having a log of what states occurred). The question to me becomes what happens to that state consistency when its running in a distributed system, which all of openstack is running in. At that point u need a way to ensure multiple servers (going through various states) are not manipulating the same resources at the same time (delete volume from cinder, while attaching it in nova). Those 2 separate services do not likely share the same state transitions (and will likely not as they become tightly coupled at that point). So then u need some type of coordination system to ensure the ordering of these 2 resource actions is done in a consistent manner. To me this starts to involve zookeeper (or something similar) since its in the end just distributed coordination (which is what these systems were designed for).

My 2 cents.

-Josh