[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-dev][Nova][Discussion]Blueprint : Auto VM Discovery in OpenStack for existing workload

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 30 15:51:01 UTC 2013

Swapnil Kulkarni <swapnilkulkarni2608 at gmail.com> wrote on 10/30/2013
02:36:37 AM:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/auto-vm-discovery-on-hypervisor

> amount of workload that they would like to be available directly
> with the use of some discovery workflows. One common usage of this
> would be exising virtual machines present on the hypervisors. If
> this instances can be disovered by the compute agent during
> discovery, it would help to use Openstack to manage the existing
> workload directly. Auto VM Discovery will enable this functionality
> initially for KVM guests, the widely used hypervisor configuration
> in OpenStack deployments and enhance it further for other hypervisors.

I agree with the doubts about asking Nova to adopt non-Nova VMs.  However,
there is another use case that may make more sense.  I am told that
sometimes a VM creation or deletion operation will fail partially, in such
a way that the controller thinks the VM does not exist but the hypervisor
is still reserving some resources for that VM.  If Nova had a way to check
its facts against the hypervisors, confusion would not have to reign.

Regards,
Mike