[openstack-dev] Update resources API

GROSZ, Maty (Maty) maty.grosz at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Oct 30 07:25:51 UTC 2013

Hi *,

I wonder how does OpenStack Update resource APIs are handling a case in which the update request is to clear an existed attribute value:
For example, let A be a resource (Server, Image, Volume... whatever) and A1, A2 and A3 are all attribute of resource A.
Let 'a' be the current value of attribute A1. Now, the client would like to call the update API of resource A, and clear the value of A1.

What is the convention in OpenStack services? I know that the Image service (Glance) API has a good solution for that (update an Image, for example), but what is the behavior in the other services APIs?
Should the client send the attribute in the request and set it a string of length 0? For example - the client would like to clear A1 and set a different value for A2. Using XML message body:

<resourceA A1="" A2="newValue">
</resourceA>

Thanks,

Maty.

[logo]
Maty Grosz
Alcatel-Lucent
APIs Functional Owner, R&D
CLOUDBAND BUSINESS UNIT
16 Atir Yeda St. Kfar-Saba 44643, ISRAEL
T: +972 (0) 9 7933078
F: +972 (0) 9 7933700
maty.grosz at alcatel-lucent.com<mailto:bkarin.bercovitz at alcatel-lucent.com>