[openstack-dev] Murano mission change towards Application Catalog

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Wed Oct 30 00:17:42 UTC 2013

Hi OpenStackers,

I would like to announce a change in Murano project mission. Murano has
been created as Windows DC deployment project focused on Windows Services
deployment automation with Horizon integration.

As the project evolves we start to get more and more requests for adding
non-Windows related services using the same approach as we designed and
implemented in Murano. In addition the way how Murano has been originally
designed provides a solution that closes few gaps in OpenStack: software
orchestration, workflow automation and application catalog.

Now we see a new wave of emerging projects and initiatives focusing on
platform aspects of OpenStack ecosystem. With that Murano team has made a
decision to move towards application catalog mission and contribute
software orchestration and workflow automation portions to the
corresponding OpenStack initiatives.

A new mission for Murano project is to create an application catalog - an
integration layer allowing to publish third-party applications and services
for self-provisioning in OpenStack. An application could be a simple single
instance VM or complex multi-tier application with autoscaling and
self-healing.

Murano will  cover different aspects of application delivery to the
end-user including publishing, distribution control and final provisioning.

You can find a detailed description of the redefined mission and more use
cases on a wiki page
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano/ApplicationCatalog.

Murano plans to use Heat for both resource provisioning and software
orchestration. We already use Heat as part of OpenStack infrastructure
provisioning engine. At the same time Murano will integrate with TaskFlow
and Mistral projects to cover specifics of workflows execution. Ceilometer
will be used for tracking usage statistics required for the billing
purposes.

Thanks,
Georgy