[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] PCI pass-through network support

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Tue Oct 29 21:52:39 UTC 2013

At least in current PCI implementation, if a device has no SR-IOV enabled, then that device will be exposed and can be assigned (is this your so-called PF?). If a device has SR-IOV enabled, then only VF be exposed and the PF is hidden from resource tracker. The reason is, when SR-IOV enabled, the PF is mostly used to configure and management the VFs, and it will be security issue to expose the PF to a guest.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the PF, are you talking about the PF w/ or w/o SR-IOV enabled.

I totally agree that assign a PCI NIC to service VM have a lot of benefit from both performance and isolation point of view.

Thanks
--jyh