[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Instance Group Model and APIs - Updated document with an example request payload

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Tue Oct 29 21:32:56 UTC 2013

Andrew Laski <andrew.laski at rackspace.com> wrote on 29/10/2013 11:14:03 PM:
> [...]
> Having Nova call into Heat is backwards IMO.  If there are specific
> pieces of information that Nova can expose, or API capabilities to help
> with orchestration/placement that Heat or some other service would like
> to use then let's look at that.  Nova has placement concerns that extend

> to finding a capable hypervisor for the VM that someone would like to
> boot, and then just slightly beyond.

+1

>  If there are higher level
> decisions to be made about placement decisions I think that belongs
> outside of Nova, and then just tell Nova where to put it.

I wonder whether it is possible to find an approach that takes into
account cross-resource placement considerations (VM-to-VM communicating
over the application network, or VM-to-volume communicating over storage
network), but does not require delivering all the intimate details of the
entire environment to a single place -- which probably can not be either
of Nova/Cinder/Neutron/etc.. but can we still use the individual
schedulers in each of them with partial view of the environment to drive a
placement decision which is consistently better than random?

Regards,
Alex