[openstack-dev] [Nova] Blueprint review process

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Oct 29 20:24:00 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 10:28 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> 2) Setting clearer expectations.  Since we have so many blueprints for
> Nova, I feel it's very important to accurately set expectations for how
> the priority of different projects compare.  In the last cycle,
> priorities were mainly subjectively set by me.  Setting priorities based
> on what reviewers are willing to spend time on is a more accurate
> reflection of the likelihood of a set of changes making it in to the
> release.

I'm all for managing expectations :) I had a conversation with Tom about
this and we agreed that there may be a risk that new contributors with
not much karma in the project would have a harder time getting their
blueprint assigned higher priorities. If a new group proposes a
blueprint, they may need to "court" bp reviewers to convince them to
dedicate attention to their first bp. The risk is that the reviewers of
Blueprints risk of becoming a sort of gatekeeper, or what other projects
call 'committers'.

I think this is a concrete risk, it exists but I don't know if it's
possible to eliminate it. I don't think we have to eliminate it but we
need to manage it to minimize it in order to keep our promise of being
'open' as in open to new contributors, even the ones with low karma.

What do you think?

> We don't really have a specific system for filing feature requests.

yep, thanks, this is a different conversation to have. Let's focus on
blueprint review first.

Thanks,
/stef