[openstack-dev] Remove vim modelines?

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Tue Oct 29 13:43:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> *) They help casual contributors *more* than long time core
> contributors : and those are the folk that are most likely to give up
> and walk away. Keeping barriers to entry low is an important part of
> making OpenStack development accessible to new participants.

I'm not sure I buy the low barrier to entry in this case.  We could easily
provide a more comprehensive vimscript snippet that experienced vim users
can include into their vimrc.  Not only that, but we can do the same for
any other editor.  If a user is not familiar with vim, I don't think we
can/should do much to teach users how to use their editor.

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org