[openstack-dev] Remove vim modelines?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Oct 29 11:17:38 UTC 2013

On 28 October 2013 23:54, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We don't just gate without telling people, the first two items in hacking
> are read pep8
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/hacking/

The gate is super useful, but it's reactive, not proactive. And good
documentation isn't a replacement for just doing the right thing.

>> > * Why have the same config 828 times for one repo alone?  This
>> > violates the DRY principle (Don't Repeat Yourself).
>>
>> Because afaik there's no standard way to inform editors of
>> project-specific style guidelines. Plus previously mentioned benefit of
>> stickiness.
>

> PEP8 is hardly project specific.

The definition of PEP8 is (moderately) global. The choice to use PEP8
is project specific.

>> That's not very welcoming. If a project want to be particular about
>> its style, it has a responsibilty to not just gate but also assist in
>> following that style.
>
> We do try to make it easy to follow the style. Its fully documented here
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/hacking/.  Also the modeline we use is
> hardly enough to follow the style (80 char limit, spacing between functions,
> between classes etc.) And we provide several ways for a user to run the full
> set of style tests locally.

Documentation isn't the same as helping. Yes, it's true that the modeline isn't
sufficient, but it does get some of the key variation project
guidelines tend to have: spaces and tabs.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist