[openstack-dev] [Nova]Ideas of idempotentcy-client-token

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 10:32:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM, haruka tanizawa <harubelle at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> I proposed 'Idempotency for OpenStack API' as before.
> In this time, I rewrote BP(
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/idempotentcy-client-token )
> and I implemented proto of it.
>

> I image below use-case.
> User can't know instance ID when the client has gone away before user get
> 'create server' response of request.
> So, User need to something which User can specify token like a mark.
> In the service, which can also be a problem of charging.
>
> In this case, idempotency client token is so useful.
> To specify the token itself by User, User can know status of server.
> How many times User put POST method, it is guaranteed the state of the
> POST which was same with return of User's first POST request.
>

> Moreover, I found that this BP(
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/support-retry-with-idempotency)
> is based on my blueprint.
>

> If you have any idea about or question, please feel free to discuss
> anything.
> ** Also, I will attend HK summit.

I like the idea but two comments:

* Can you fill out the questions found in
http://justwriteclick.com/2013/09/17/openstack-docimpact-flag-walk-through/
* Can you break down the blueprint into work items, so we can see what
steps are involved
* Since this is for OpenStack APIs only the name client-token makes me
think of keystone tokens, so I think we need a better name.