[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Object status and admin_state_up

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Tue Oct 29 09:19:16 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

Currently there are two attributes of vips/pools/members that represent a
status: 'status' and 'admin_state_up'.

The first one is used to represent deployment status and can be
PENDING_CREATE, ACTIVE, PENDING_DELETE, ERROR.
We also have admin_state_up which could be True or False.

I'd like to know your opinion on how to change 'status' attribute based on
admin_state_up changes.
For instance. If admin_state_up is updated to be False, how do you think
'status' should change?

Also, speaking of reference implementation (HAProxy), changing vip or pool
admin_state_up to False effectively destroys the balancer (undeploys it),
while the objects remain in ACTIVE state.
There are two options to fix this discrepancy:
1) Change status of vip/pool to PENDING_CREATE if admin_state_up changes to
False
2) Don't destroy the loadbalancer and use HAProxy capability to disable
frontend and backend while leave vip/pool in ACTIVE state

Please share your opinion.

Thanks,
Eugene.