[openstack-dev] [Heat] Comments on Steve Baker's Proposal on HOT Software Config

Lakshminaraya Renganarayana lrengan at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 28 22:33:22 UTC 2013

Georgy Okrokvertskhov <gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com> wrote on 10/28/2013
02:18:42 PM:

> I believe the extensions you proposed will extend HOT software
> components usability. In general I have only one concern related to
> components naming. In your examples you have software components
> like install_mysql (you got it from Steve's example) and configure_app.
> I would say, that these components are not software components, but
> some actions on software components. This is a small deviation from
> declarative approach as in general declarative objects more or less
> independent while actions are naturally have some sequence. For
> example your configure_app should not be executed before install_app
> and technically it is the same component on different stages. I
> don't know what is inside puppet manifest in configure_app but it
> might contain app installation phase or might not.
>
> From my perspective it will be better to add some concepts of
> actions for components and have some predefined actions like
> pre_install, install, post_install and probably some custom actions.
> This will be more clear approach then declaring action as a software
> component. This is quite typical approach in different PaaS solutions.

I agree with you that the components in the proposal and our examples
resemble more of actions. In fact, we actually find them similar to the
concept of "automations" which is a generic term used to refer to any
kind of script/recipes/etc. that does software install/configuration. So,
I am open to a better name for them.