[openstack-dev] [Heat] Comments on Steve Baker's Proposal on HOT Software Config

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Mon Oct 28 18:18:42 UTC 2013

Hi Lakshminarayanan,

I believe the extensions you proposed will extend HOT software components
usability. In general I have only one concern related to components naming.
In your examples you have software components like install_mysql (you got
it from Steve's example) and configure_app.
I would say, that these components are not software components, but some
actions on software components. This is a small deviation from declarative
approach as in general declarative objects more or less independent while
actions are naturally have some sequence. For example your configure_app
should not be executed before install_app and technically it is the same
component on different stages. I don't know what is inside puppet manifest
in configure_app but it might contain app installation phase or might not.

>From my perspective it will be better to add some concepts of actions for
components and have some predefined actions like pre_install, install,
post_install and probably some custom actions. This will be more clear
approach then declaring action as a software component. This is quite
typical approach in different PaaS solutions.

Thanks
Georgy

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Randall Burt <randall.burt at rackspace.com>wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 02:33:40PM +0000, Randall Burt wrote:

> -- we
> We
> on the
> >>>>

> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/hot-software-config-ibm-response

> cut/paste

> implement
> longer

> the
> list of
> >>
> >> I see the appeal here, but I'm leaning toward having the components
> define the resources they apply to rather than extending the interfaces of
> every compute-related resource we have or may have in the future. True,
> this may make things trickier in some respects with regard to bootstrapping
> the compute resource, but then again, don't most configuration management
> systems work on active compute instances?
> >
> > What "every" though?  Don't we have exactly one compute resource,
> > OS::Nova::Server?  (I'm assuming this functionality won't be available
> via
> > AWS compatible Instance resource)
>
> Yes, I suppose it wouldn't do to go extending the AWS compatibility
> interface with this functionality, so I withdraw my concern.
>

> > Steve

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Technical Program Manager,
Cloud and Infrastructure Services,