[openstack-dev] [nova] Thoughs please on how to address a problem with mutliple deletes leading to a nova-compute thread pool problem

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Oct 28 16:56:33 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 10:30 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> I wish everything was so simple in distributed systems (like
> openstack) but there are real boundaries and limits to doing
> something like a "kill -9" correctly while retaining the consistency
> of the resources in your cloud (any inconsistency costs someone
> $$$).

Arguably that cost needs to be factored in by the cloud provider as a
cost of doing business.

As Clint said, once an end-user says "I want to stop using these
resources", they shouldn't be charged for them anymore.  If the
provider's system is currently broken and can't properly process the
request right away, that's their problem and not the end user's.

So if there are technological limitations as to what can be done, you
register that the user wants to clean everything up, you stop charging
them, and then you clean things up as fast as you can behind the scenes.

Chris