[openstack-dev] [Heat] Network topologies [and more]

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Oct 28 15:43:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:07:08AM -0400, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 10/28/2013 06:47:50 AM:
> > On 27/10/13 16:37, Edgar Magana wrote:
> > > Heat Developers,
> > >
> > > I am one of the core developers for Neutron who is lately working on
> the
> > > concept of "Network Topologies". I want to discuss with you if the
> > > following blueprint will make sense to have in heat or neutron code:
> > > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/network-topologies-api

> > It sounds to me like the only thing there that Heat is not already doing
>
> > is to dump the existing network configuration. What if you were to
> > implement just that part and do it in the format of a Heat template? (An
>
> > independent tool to convert the JSON output to a Heat template would
> > also work, I guess.)

> > It does sound very much like you're trying to solve the same problem as
> > Heat.
> >

> In my templates I have more than a network topology.  How would I combine
> the extracted/shared network topology with the other stuff I want in my
> heat template?

The most flexible answer IMO is to define the network topology in a heat
template, then consume it via a provider resource, mapped via your
environment (either globally or per-user):

http://hardysteven.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/heat-providersenvironments-101-ive.html

This would allow you to completely separate the network definition from
other stuff, and reuse it as needed, including easily selecting different
versions (e.g staging workflow between dev/test etc where the network
definition differs but not the application)

Steve