[openstack-dev] [Heat] Network topologies [and more]

Randall Burt randall.burt at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Oct 28 14:24:42 UTC 2013

On Oct 28, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com<mailto:mspreitz at us.ibm.com>>
 wrote:

Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com<mailto:zbitter at redhat.com>> wrote on 10/28/2013 06:47:50 AM:
> On 27/10/13 16:37, Edgar Magana wrote:
> > Heat Developers,
> >
> > I am one of the core developers for Neutron who is lately working on the
> > concept of "Network Topologies". I want to discuss with you if the
> > following blueprint will make sense to have in heat or neutron code:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/network-topologies-api

> It sounds to me like the only thing there that Heat is not already doing
> is to dump the existing network configuration. What if you were to
> implement just that part and do it in the format of a Heat template? (An
> independent tool to convert the JSON output to a Heat template would
> also work, I guess.)

> It does sound very much like you're trying to solve the same problem as
> Heat.

In my templates I have more than a network topology.  How would I combine the extracted/shared network topology with the other stuff I want in my heat template?

Well, if Neutron generated a Heat template describing a particular topology, you could always include that in another template as a provider resource assuming said template is generated with meaningful outputs. IMO, there is some appeal to having Neutron generate a Heat template for this feature. Its something directly consumable by another Openstack service allowing you to not only describe, but save and re-create for later any networking configuration using the same artifact.

Thanks,
OpenStack-dev mailing list