[openstack-dev] RFC: Filtering boring commit subjects from ChangeLog

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Oct 28 08:33:21 UTC 2013

On 28/10/13 08:18 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>On Sun, 2013-10-27 at 21:50 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> Hey all!
>>
>> We're adding a little bit of code to pbr to make the auto-generated
>> ChangeLog files a bit more useful. Currently, they are just the git
>> changelog, which is kinda useless. So we wrote this:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52367/
>>
>> which produces output like this:
>>
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/49999  # on a tag
>> and
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/50001  # not on a tag
>>
>> It underscores the need for commit subjects to communicate something,
>> which is a good thing.
>>
>> With that there, it makes changes like:
>> * Updated from global requirements
>> and
>> * Update my mailmap
>>
>> Kinda lame in the changelog. So we were thinking - what if we recognized
>> one or more subject tags to skip things going into the ChangeLog file.
>> My first thought was:
>>
>> NIT:  # use this for tiny commits that are not really worth changelogging
>>
>> and
>>
>> AUTO: # use for commits generated by our machines, such as the global
>> requirements sync or the Translations sync.
>>
>> What do people think? Should we bother? Are those good? Would something
>> else be better? It's sort of an opt-in feature, so adding it SHOULDN'T
>> bork too many people.
>
>So long as it isn't so SHOUTY it could work out nicely :)
>
>Getting these ChangeLogs published is goodness - the more the more
>people see their one-line message around the place, the more people
>they'll make an effort to write a decent one.

We've been using AngularJS commit conventions for Marconi.

Some of the folks in Marconi have been using AngularJS' commit
conventions [0], which I find descriptive and not invasive. I find it
useful because it shows what the commit is about right away, the
drawback, though, is that it uses some of the few characters available
for the commit subject - which I don't like.

What about following this convention but moving the tag somewhere in
the commit message - right above Closes-bug, for example -?

I like the idea overall.

Cheers,
FF

[0] http://s.f87.me/1gUujDd