[openstack-dev] consolidating .mailmap?

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Oct 28 02:13:43 UTC 2013

On 10/26/2013 04:38 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> So nova has a massive .mailmap that maps multiple addresses for one
> person together. I'm wondering if a) it's still needed, and b) if it
> is, should we push it into all the repositories - e.g. have a single
> global copy and an automated job to push updates around.

We do still need it. We also have this info duplicated elsewhere (like
stackalytics and gitdm) Perhaps we don't even store it elsewhere in that
form, but instead generate it and then ship it around?

OR - (this is from IRC conversation) We remove it from the repo
altogether since it's mainly for sdist purposes - and instead have infra
read in the mailmap info globally, then copy it into the repo before
sdist generation. The downside to that is that the AUTHORS file would be
weird for people for locally produced tarballs. BUT - I kinda doubt that
people who are re-producing tarballs from source themselves care about
the AUTHORS file.