[openstack-dev] [Heat] Network topologies

Edgar Magana emagana at plumgrid.com
Sun Oct 27 15:37:15 UTC 2013

Heat Developers,

I am one of the core developers for Neutron who is lately working on the
concept of "Network Topologies". I want to discuss with you if the
following blueprint will make sense to have in heat or neutron code:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/network-topologies-api

Basically, I want to let tenants “save”, “duplicate” and “share” network
topologies by means of an API and a standardized JSON format that describes
network topologies. This google document provides detailed description:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nPkLcUma_nkmuHYxCuUZ8HuryH752gQnkmrZdXeE2LM/edit#

There is a concern in Neutron of not duplicating efforts done by Heat team
and also to find the right place for this API.

The intended work does NOT include any application driven orchestration
system, does NOT include any already existing or vender-specific standard
format for describing topologies, actually we want to standardized one
based on Neutron but it is still on discussion.

If Heat developers could provide their point of view about this proposal,
wether it should be moved to Heat or it is fine to keep it in Neutron.

Thanks,

Edgar