[openstack-dev] Remove vim modelines?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 19:53:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> On 26 October 2013 08:40, Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Robert Collins <
> robertc at robertcollins.net>
> > wrote:
> >>

> >> *) They help casual contributors *more* than long time core
> >> contributors : and those are the folk that are most likely to give up
> >> and walk away. Keeping barriers to entry low is an important part of
> >> making OpenStack development accessible to new participants.
> >

> > This is an interesting point. My reasoning for removing them was that
> I've
> > never seen *anyone* working to maintain them, or to add them to files
> where
> > they're missing. However, I suspect that the users benefiting from them
> > simply aren't deeply enough involved with the project to notice or care
> > about the inconsistency?
>
> Thats my hypothesis too.
>
> > I'm all for low barriers of entry, so if there's
> > any evidence that this is true, I'd want to make them more prolific.
>
> I'm not sure how to gather evidence for this, either for or against ;(.

If we removed them, we might see an uptick in whitespace PEP8 violations.
Alternatively, compare the number of historical whitespace violations in
files with modelines vs those without.

Collecting the data for either of those sound like more work than just
adding the modelines to files where they are missing.

> -Rob
>
> --
> Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
> Distinguished Technologist