[openstack-dev] Remove vim modelines?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 19:40:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> *) They help casual contributors *more* than long time core
> contributors : and those are the folk that are most likely to give up
> and walk away. Keeping barriers to entry low is an important part of
> making OpenStack development accessible to new participants.

This is an interesting point. My reasoning for removing them was that I've
never seen *anyone* working to maintain them, or to add them to files where
they're missing. However, I suspect that the users benefiting from them
simply aren't deeply enough involved with the project to notice or care
about the inconsistency? I'm all for low barriers of entry, so if there's
any evidence that this is true, I'd want to make them more prolific.

-Dolph