[openstack-dev] Does DB schema hygiene warrant long migrations?

Mike Wilson geekinutah at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 00:50:17 UTC 2013

So, I observe a consensus here of "long migrations suck"m +1 to that.
I also observe a consensus that we need to get no-downtime schema changes
working. It seems super important. Also +1 to that.

Getting back to the original review, it got -2'd because Michael would like
to make sure that the benefit outweighs the cost of the downtime. I
completely agree with that, so far we've heard arguments from both Jay and
Boris as to why this is faster/slower but I think some sort of evidence
other than hearsay is needed. Can we get some sort of benchmark result that
clearly illustrates the performance consequences of the migration in the
long run?

-Mike