[openstack-dev] [Neutron]LBaaS] - Questions on IP Allocation Logic for VIP

Pattabi Ayyasami pattabi at Brocade.com
Thu Oct 24 22:40:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

We encounter the following error in our lab when we auto allocate the VIP IP Address for create_vip API.

ERROR: quantumclient.shell Unable to complete operation for network f51735cc-c62e-438d-bc9f-26792c2486b9.

The IP address 172.21.72.8 is in use.

We basically have the following questions.

1. How does neutron/quantum checks if IP address is already used or not?

   (Engineer data with NULL ID on ipallocation table, so he wonders if data with NULL ID has something to do with IP address allocation)

2. Will Data with NULL ID on ipallocations be removed sometime after? If so what would be the timing ?

3. Value of first_ip in ipavailabilityranges seems to be increasing rapidly, but when this value will be reset ?

Regards,
Pattabi