[openstack-dev] Does DB schema hygiene warrant long migrations?

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Thu Oct 24 20:40:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

1) If you have 30 million instance it means that you have 300 million
instance_system_metadata records
All these records will be downloaded every 6 seconds (in periodic tasks) to
compute_nodes => which means that OpenStack on scale out of box doesn't
work.

If you have 3 million instance the situation is the same (OpenStack doesn't
work). but migration will be done for 1 minute.

So it is maximum 1 minute downtime (in actually non real case).

This change is actually very important because VARCHAR works much much
faster then BLOB (Text) records.
So this is important change and shouldn't be -2.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic