[openstack-dev] RFC - Icehouse logging harmonization

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Thu Oct 24 15:46:27 UTC 2013

On a previous project, I wrote a library that provided a command-line
option to set the logging levels for different loggers. This was handy for
developers and for support. An example translated to Keystone would be like

keystone-all --logging=keystone.identity=DEBUG

Now the keystone.identity loggers are DEBUG while the rest of the loggers
are still at INFO or whatever their default is. This would be used if you
think the problem is in the identity backend. It's more convenient than
editing a config file.

Also, in our config file we listed the important loggers and had the
default levels for them... for keystone it would be like

# keystone.identity=INFO
# keystone.assignment=INFO
# dogpile=WARNING

This was useful for developers and customers alike, because it was then
easier to figure out what the loggers are.

- Brant