[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software configuration proposal

Patrick Petit patrick.petit at bull.net
Thu Oct 24 09:24:23 UTC 2013

Hello Stan,
Please see comments inline.
Cheers,
Patrick
On 10/23/13 8:33 PM, Stan Lagun wrote:
> Hi Patric,
>
> Thank you for such great post! This is very close to the vision I've
> tried to propose earlier on software orchestration thread and I'm glad
> other people concern about the same issues. However the problem the
> problem with PaaS-like approached it that they currently on a little
> bit higher abstraction layer than Heat is intended to be. Typical Heat
> users are more of DevOps people rather than those who enjoy
> PaaS-related solutions. Going that direction would require some major
> paradigm shift for the Heat which I think is unnecessary.
Okay. But don't get me wrong. I am not militating for embarking
PaaS-like capabilities into Heat. Far from it. There are two basic
reasons for that. There are to many ways of approaching the PaaS
endeavor and that would kill innovation for those who are trying to
build value atop of OpenStack/Heat like ourselves. Even though we are
DevOps the intent is that our users don't have to be since we provide
them with built-in middleware stacks covering some verticals
(high-performance computing related) that power users can leverage
out-of-the-box to deploy their own apps. So, I guess what I intended to
say is; let's try to keep it lean. Do not over engineer this thing with
nuts and bolts allover the place because Heat is and will be
increasingly used in completely unexpected ways.

> I believe there is a place in OpenStack software-orchestration
> ecosystem for layers that would sin on top of Heat and provide more
> high-level services for software composition, dependency management.
> Heat is not aimed to be software-everything. I would suggest you to
> take a look at Murano project as it is very very close to what you
> want to achieve and as every open-source project it needs community
> contributions. And I believe that it is the place in OpenStack
> ecosystem where your expirience would be most valuable and appreciated
> as well as your contributions
Thank you for the invitation! We also welcome you to work with us on the
XLcloud project which is also open-source Apache V2 project. Java-based
though. Nobody is perfect ;-). More seriously we are thinking of moving
the code to github and apply for incubation eventually making the
OpenStack community become bigger and richer by joining in with the Java
community :-)

The code
http://gitorious.ow2.org/xlcloud
A beginning of user documentation can be found here:
https://129.184.11.121:8443/display/XGM/XLcloud+Guides+and+Manuals+Home