[openstack-dev] excessively difficult to support both iso8601 0.1.4 and 0.1.8 as deps

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Oct 23 19:30:05 UTC 2013

On 24 October 2013 07:34, Mark Washenberger
<mark.washenberger at markwash.net> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> 1) Adopt 0.1.8 as the minimum version in openstack-requirements.
> 2) Do nothing (i.e. let Glance behavior depend on iso8601 in this way, and
> just fix the tests so they don't care about these extra formats)
> 3) Make Glance work with the added formats even if 0.1.4 is installed.

I think we should do (1) because both (2) will permit surprising,
nonobvious changes in behaviour and (3) is just nasty engineering.
Alternatively, add a (4) which is (2) with "whinge on startup if 0.1.4
is installed" to make identifying this situation easy.

The last thing a new / upgraded deployment wants is something like
nova, or a third party API script failing in nonobvious ways with no
breadcrumbs to lead them to 'upgrade iso8601' as an answer.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist