[openstack-dev] excessively difficult to support both iso8601 0.1.4 and 0.1.8 as deps

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Wed Oct 23 18:34:57 UTC 2013

Hi folks!

In the images api, we depend on iso8601 to parse some dates and times.
Recently, since version 0.1.4, python-iso8601 added support for a few more
formats, and we finally got some other issues nailed down by 0.1.8. Maybe
the fact that these formats weren't supported before was a bug. I don't
really know.

This puts us in an awkward place, however. With the help of our unit tests,
we noticed that, if you switch from 0.1.8 back to 0.1.4 in your deployment,
your image api will lose support for certain datetime formats like
YYYY-MM-DD (where the time part is assumed to be all zeros). This obviously
creates a (perhaps small) compatibility concern.

Here are our alternatives:

1) Adopt 0.1.8 as the minimum version in openstack-requirements.
2) Do nothing (i.e. let Glance behavior depend on iso8601 in this way, and
just fix the tests so they don't care about these extra formats)
3) Make Glance work with the added formats even if 0.1.4 is installed.

As of yesterday we were resolved to do #3, trying to be good citizens. But
it appears that to do so requires essentially reimplementing a large swath
of iso8601 0.1.8 in glance itself. Gross!

So, I'd like to suggest that we instead adopt option #1, or alternatively
agree that option #2 is no big deal, we can all go back to sleep. Thoughts?