[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] [qa] Ceilometer ERRORS in normal runs

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Oct 23 14:47:33 UTC 2013

On 10/23/2013 10:40 AM, John Griffith wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     Dave Kranz has been building a system so that we can ensure that
>     during a Tempest run services don't spew ERRORs in the logs.
>     Eventually, we're going to gate on this, because there is nothing
>     that Tempest does to the system that should cause any OpenStack
>     service to ERROR or stack trace (Errors should actually be
>     exceptional events that something is wrong with the system, not
>     regular events).
>

> So I have to disagree with the approach being taken here.  Particularly
> in the case of Cinder and the negative tests that are in place.  When I
> read this last week I assumed you actually meant that "Exceptions" were
> exceptional and nothing in Tempest should cause Exceptions.  It turns
> out you apparently did mean Errors.  I completely disagree here, Errors
> happen, some are recovered, some are expected by the tests etc.  Having
> a policy and especially a gate that says NO ERROR MESSAGE in logs makes
> absolutely no sense to me.
>
> Something like NO TRACE/EXCEPTION MESSAGE in logs I can agree with, but
> this makes no sense to me.  By the way, here's a perfect example:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1243485
>
> As long as we have Tempest tests that do things like "show non-existent
> volume" you're going to get an Error message and I think that you should
> quite frankly.

Ok, I guess that's where we probably need to clarify what "Not Found"
is. Because "Not Found" to me seems like it should be a request at INFO
level, not ERROR.

ERROR from an admin perspective should really be something that would
suitable for sending an alert to an administrator for them to come and
fix the cloud.

TRACE is actually a lower level of severity in our log systems than
ERROR is.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague