[openstack-dev] VPNaaS questions...

Paul Michali pcm at cisco.com
Wed Oct 23 14:43:51 UTC 2013

See PCM: in-line.

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL pcm at cisco.com
IRC   pcm_  (irc.freenode.net)
TW   @pmichali

On Oct 23, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Paul Michali <pcm at cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Some questions on VPNaaS…
>>
>> Can we get the review reopened of the service type framework changes for VPN on the server side?
>> I was thinking of trying to rebase that patch, based on the latest from master, but before doing so, I ran TOX on the latest master commit. TOX fails with a bunch of errors, some reporting that the system is out of memory. I have a 4GB Ubuntu 12.04 VM for this and I see it max out on memory, when TOX is run on the whole Neutron code for py27. Anyone seen this?
>
> I see this too. On 4GB Ubuntu 13.04 VM, I have over 1GB swap while
> running the whole test
> and the test slows down after swap begins….

PCM: Whew! I was worried that it was something in my setup.  Any idea on a root cause/workaround? Is this happening when Jenkins runs?

>> I have tried the current patch of service type framework, and found that client changes are needed too. I have changes ready for review, should I post them, or do we need to wait (or indicate some dependency on the server side changes)?
>
> My suggestion is to post a patch with WIP status.
> We can test the server side patch with CLI. It really helps us all.

PCM: Thanks! I wasn't sure how to proceed as the client change is useless w/o the server change.

>> I see that there is VPN connection status and VPN service status. What is the purpose of the latter? What is the status, if the service has multiple connections in different states?
>
> I see the same.

PCM: Yeah, need to understand what the desired meaning is for the service status in this context.

>> Have you guys tried VPNaaS with Havana and the now default ML2 plugin? I got a failure on connection create, saying that it could not find get_l3_agents_hosting_routers() attribute. I haven't looked into this yet, but will try as soon as I can.
>
> I think https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1238846 is same as
> what you encountered.
> I believe this bug was fixed in the final RC. Doesn't it work?

PCM: Ah, I missed that bug review. I probably need to update my repo with the latest to pick this up.  Thanks!

Regards,

PCM