[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Oct 22 16:21:25 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Monty Taylor's message of 2013-10-21 17:09:41 -0700:

> On 10/21/2013 10:44 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Mark McLoughlin's message of 2013-10-21 13:45:21 -0700:
> >
> > If you don't know who the copyright holders are, you cannot know that
> > the license being granted is actually enforceable. What if the Trove
> > developers just found some repo lying out in the world and slapped an
> > Apache license on it? We aren't going to do an ehaustive investigation,
> > but we want to know _who_ granted said license.
>
> You know I think you're great, but this argument doesn't hold up.
>
> If the trove developers found some repo in the world and slapped an
> apache license AND said:
>
> Copyright 2012 Michael Basnight
>
> in the header, and Thomas put that in debian/copyright, the Debian FTP
> masters would very happily accept it.

The copyright header is a data point. Now somebody looking to vet the
license situation can go and contact Michael Basnight, and look at the
history of the code itself. They can validate that Michael Basnight was
an early author, made announcements, isn't a habitual code stealer, etc.

Is this correct? No, but it gives someone looking to do due diligence
confirmation that Michael had the right to license the code.

No headers, and no information anywhere just makes an investigation that
much harder.

So it is just a data point for auditing. The problem, which Robert
Collins alluded to, is that nobody is actually auditing things this way.

This is something to bring up in Debian. I think I'll work off list with
Thomas to draft something for Debian which proposes a clarification
or relaxation of the copyright holder interpretation of Debian policy
currently adopted by the FTP masters.

> I think that authors should attribute their work, because I think that
> they should care. However, if they don't, that's fine. There is SOME
> attribution in the file, and that attribution itself is correct. HP did
> write some of the file. Rackspace also did but did not bother to claim
> having done so.
>
> debian/copyright should reflect what's in the files - it's what the
> project is stating through the mechanisms that we have available to us.
> I appreciate Thomas trying to be more precise here, but I think it's
> actually too far. If you think that there is a bug in the copyright
> header, you need to contact the project, via email, bug or patch, and
> fix it. At THAT point, you can fix the debian/copyright file.
>
> Until then, you need to declare to Debian what we are declaring to you.

Indeed, this hasn't come up, presumably, because the other
debian/copyright files have done just that. That is definitely the path of
least resistance, and the one I have taken. This is not trivial either,
As somebody who made a feeble attempt at documenting the copyright
holders for MySQL (all of you reading this have no idea how hard Monty
is cackling right now), I can say that it is basically pointless to do
anything except automatically generate from existing sources and spot
check.

> > I'm not sure that was me, but I would object to conflating it, yes. They
> > are not the same thing, but they are related. Only a copyright holder
> > can grant a copyright license.
>
> Listing the holders in debian/copyright does not prove that the asserted
> holder is a valid holder. It only asserts that _someone_ has asserted
> that copyright.
>
> It means that, should someone sue you for copyright infringement, there
> is someone you can go to for clarification.

That sounds pretty valuable to me. Imagine Debian has some big
corporation sending them cease and desist letters and threats of
copyright infringement lawsuits. It would be useful to be able to
deflect that efficiently given their limited resources.

> >> Our CLA process for new contributors is documented here:
> >>
> >>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/How_To_Contribute#Contributors_License_Agreement
> >>
> >> The key thing for Debian to understand is that all OpenStack
> >> contributors agree to license their code under the terms of the Apache
> >> License. I don't see why a list of copyright holders would clarify the
> >> licensing situation any further.
> >>

> > So Debian has a rule that statements like these need to be delivered to
> > their users along with the end-user binaries (it relates to the social
> > contract and the guidelines attached to the contract.
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/static/cla.html
> >
> > Article 2 is probably sufficient to say that it only really matters that
> > all of the copyrighted material came from people who signed the CLA,
> > and that the "Project Manager" (OpenStack Foundation) grants the license
> > on the code. I assume the other CLA's have the same basic type of
> > license being granted to the OpenStack Foundation.
> >
> > So my recommendation stands, that we can clarify it in the released
> > tarballs with a single document. I suggest that document have the text
> > of the CLA's (since there are different CLA's for different types of
> > submitters), and an assertion that all of the code in the underlying
> > repository has been submitted by individuals who have signed at least one
> > of these CLA's. That _should_ be sufficient for Debian's FTP masters,
> > and if not, then for the Debian governing bodies that would be able to
> > override the FTP masters.
> >
> > Oh and I am not a lawyer, but I am a Debian developer and I am concerned
> > that we make it clear exactly what users' rights are.
>
> I believe our CLA is bullshit.
>
> Our code has an Apache License on it. All of our files have Apache
> license headers on them. They are all Apache licensed.
>
> The users rights, as per the Debian Social Contract, are clearly stated
> - they are the rights, granted to the user, under the auspices of the
> Apache License.
>
> Who granted those rights to the user is immaterial to how the license
> operates. A correct list of everyone who may have contributed lines of
> code to the file is also immaterial.
>
> The source from which Debian is receiving the code, has attached a
> license to the software. It is Free Software.
>
> Our CLA was useless bullshit when our corporate lawyers forced it on us.
> It is useless bullshit now. It will be useless bullshit until we rip it
> out of the hands of our corporate lawyers and stomp it on the ground
> until it is dead and the people who added it senselessly to our process
> feel very silly that they do not have the ability to read the
> quite-clear terms of the Apache License itself.
>
> The last thing we need to do is validate in any manner that somehow the
> CLA makes our Apache Licensed Free Software more Free or more Valid than
> if we did not have our useless CLA.

I'd appreciate it if you would include your _actual_ feelings in these
emails and not mince words next time Monty.

Point taken, no CLA in tarballs. Up until this point I actually thought
the CLA was something that was part of the community ethos, some kind of
"look we are making it better for companies". Did not realize it was
just a legal shim put in by the corporate lawyer drones.