[openstack-dev] Merge multiple OVS bridges ?

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Tue Oct 22 12:46:30 UTC 2013

On Oct 22, 2013, at 2:21 AM, Gopi Krishna B <gopi97468 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> Currently in Neutron the integration bridge (br-int) and other bridges configured over each physical nic (e.g. br-eth0, br-eth1 etc) are being configured in Compute and Network nodes. What is the logic behind or advantages having 2 OVS bridges in the physical host?
> Can we have only one bridge for each physical NIC, similar to what linux bridge setup has. And configure/modify the flows such that VLAN conversion is appropriately setup for ingress and egress traffic within the single bridge.
> Thus also eliminating the veth pairs used to connect the bridges together.
> Is this a feasible proposal, and can it be worked on?

Sure, please file a blueprint and submit a patch for this, I would review this for sure! :)

There are optimizations underway around this area. For example, we're looking at possibly collapsing the individual Linuxbridge and OVS agents into a single agent. In the context of ML2, this makes sense. I've thought a bit about collapsing the bridges from two to one and this is something which seems quite doable frankly.

Thanks,
Kyle